A fire damage cleanup could be considered the best solution to restore a house after experiencing a fire in order to turn the page and move forward. Although the name of the process sounds like it will only make stains disappear, this is a process that should not be taken lightly, as it goes far beyond from just eliminating the damage generated by smoke.
When a fire occurs in a house, there can always be structural damage which must be assessed to take proper actions. Among the most common signs of structural damage after a fire, there are:
- Weak floors. Floors can become weak because of the high temperatures or because of the water used to extinguish the fire.
- Foundation problems. Cracks can form because of the high temperatures.
- Presence of soot. Soot near electrical outlets may indicate internal damage.
- Water flooding from extinguishing the fire. This can cause weak floors and other problems, especially in wooden structures.
- Insulation problems. This is usually caused by the water used to extinguish the fire.
To perform a good home renovation after a fire, all these problems must be solved, and only an expert can really assess them properly to find the best solution. Otherwise, further problems will arise in the future. Moreover, it is important to know some signs of damage become evident immediately after the fire has been extinguished, while others may take hours or even days to appear, which is another reason to rely on an expert.
Besides solving the structural problems, other problems that a good fire damage cleanup will cover are those related to smoke damage, such as surfaces discoloration and odors that may become toxic. In addition, a good fire damage cleanup will assess internal problems that are not very evident, like those related to the electrical system.
As it has been described, assessing the extension of the fire damage before the home renovation starts. The next step after the extension has been assessed in determining the fire damage cleanup activities that must be performed to ensure the house will be a safe environment again.